Thursday, September 25, 2008

The many faces of boy

Dear boy,

You're eight months old today, and if I've learned anything from you over the better part of a year, I've learned to try to capture every little detail about you as well as I can, because you have a way of changing the game on us nearly on a daily basis. And so I thought I'd record a few of your most recent expressions and accomplishments, because by this time next week you're likely to be driving or dating or something, and I don't want to forget anything. 

What's new with you, you ask? These days, you're sitting up, and looking pretty proud of yourself when you do. You're belly-crawling everywhere, rapidly and with great enthusiasm. You've started pulling up on objects that we put in your path. You've got two tiny (and extremely sharp) teeth right in the middle of your lower gums, which you apply to every single non-food item you can get your hands on. (Strangely enough, when we hand you actual food, you never once attempt to get it into your face. An enigma, that's what you are.) And you spend your days talking unceasingly. None of it makes sense, mind you, but you are very dedicated in your vocalizations. 

One of my favorite things about you is your incredible expressiveness. For such a little face, it showcases so many different feelings.





Your daddy claims that when you learn to talk, he's going to sit you down and ask you, "what the heck were you thinking, all those times?" I'll admit to being curious myself, but I figure all we're going to get is what's showing on the front of your head, not what's running through it, so I'll enjoy what you're willing to share. 

I know you won't remember these days. So I'll have to remember them for both of us. Here's what I wish you could keep with you, though.
  • The knowledge that your daddy misses you so much while he's at work that he makes me send him pictures of you throughout any given work day. When he and I used to talk on the phone, we'd end conversations with a quick "I love you." Now, before he hangs up, he says, "I-love-you-send-pictures."
  • The joy you take in simple outings. Even going to SuperTarget or the grocery store makes you so happy right now, because there's always something new to see.
  • The glee with which you watch kids and cars. When we take walks around the neighborhood, I always know that seeing other kids playing will get you keyed up. You shout from your stroller, "Day! DAAAAAAAY!" as if to say, "Hey, lemme play, too!" And when cars drive past us, you always whip your head around to watch them until they're out of sight. 
  • The way you have of making people smile. Whether they're strangers at the bank or your grandfather and great-grandparents, people are riveted by you and your many faces. You have brought so much light to so many people already, just in eight months. Your name means "little blessing," which your daddy and I didn't know until we'd already picked it, but it's absolutely perfect for you.
Sweet boy, your daddy and I have already taken over 1600 photographs of you in the last eight months. And I don't think a single one of them shows the same expression. I am so amazed by you, in awe of who you are. I love getting to know more of you every day, and I can't wait to see what the next month brings. 

I love you, son.
Your mommy

No comments: